Monday 24 October 2011

Project 2

Proposal:
Life; In the early years of our lives, the future seems a distant place,the worries of today something we can leave for time.Snow symbolizes this innocence and, as each image rises higher it represents the growth of a young child. This period is magical; no limits exist in a persons ability to imagine where they might end up. Following this time a plateau is reached and we live out our middle ages. Finally when all the snow has melted, in old age, we look around us on what we did and did not do, who we are and who we wished to be. Then far to suddenly life is over and the story ends.

Evaluation:
Initial imaginings of cool stop motion animations or vivid photos of frozen time ment I spent most of my time on this project realizing what I could not do, rather than doing what I could. In the end photos of the aftermath of hurricane Katrina gave me a sense of time within a simple photograph. From here I photographed churches, attempting to capture objects which had endured time. Funnily enough churches, unlike in the movies, are not open during the weekdays. At this point I went back over the photographs I had taken to look for any common strands, finding the photos I took as a climbed a path overlooking wellington during the snowstorm. The surreal nature of these shots caused me to think of the use of the path as a metaphor for our lives. The last two images rounded out the series, providing contrast and a more concrete link to later stages of life. The 'old age' photo was interesting as I wanted it to not only be higher than all the previous photos but also to feature a large amount of water separating the viewer from the other side, to represent the gap that exists between generations. The 4/3 split also felt natural, the early years are often the most fast passed, while
middle and old age, and death, are the longest and therefore sit alone on a slide.







No comments:

Post a Comment